[Insight-users] Automated cropping of an image based on image segmentation

Lodron, Gerald Gerald.Lodron at joanneum.at
Wed Dec 16 03:53:05 EST 2009

Hello,

I have two 3D CT images which i want to register. I want first segment the human from the rest because I think the environment (patient table etc) will/can disturb the registration. The segmentation already works perfect, I use a simple connected threshold filter in combination with an image closing which results in an image of zeros and ones.

Now I have two questions:

- I think it would be a great idea (performance reasons) to automatically crop the image depending on that segmentation result but i have no idea how to do this efficiently, any ideas?

- In the imageToImageMetric I found the functions: SetFixedImageMask and SetMovingImageMask
  They needs a type called Spatial Objects so I think i had to use the itk::ImageSpatialObject class to convert my itk Image into such a spatial object type. Here is my question: Is it advisable to make a cropping and this image mask stuff or will the image mask stuff make everything internal to compute the result fast?

Best regards