[Insight-users] A challenge to all Windows users

URI zallen at wheelinghospital.com
Wed Dec 23 11:38:14 EST 2009

Kevin-

This is exactly what I'm looking for thanks.  Unfortunately this didn't work
for me.  As soon as I hit "Configure" for the first time in CMake I get the
following (all in red):

CMake Error: CMake was unable to find a build program corresponding to
"MinGW Makefiles".  CMAKE_MAKE_PROGRAM is not set.  You probably need to
select a different build tool.
CMake Error: CMake was unable to find a build program corresponding to
"MinGW Makefiles".  CMAKE_MAKE_PROGRAM is not set.  You probably need to
select a different build tool.
CMake Error: Error required internal CMake variable not set, cmake may be
not be built correctly.
Missing variable is:
CMAKE_C_COMPILER_ENV_VAR
CMake Error: Error required internal CMake variable not set, cmake may be
not be built correctly.
Missing variable is:
CMAKE_C_COMPILER
CMake Error: Could not find cmake module
file:C:/ITKBuild/CMakeFiles/CMakeCCompiler.cmake
CMake Error: Error required internal CMake variable not set, cmake may be
not be built correctly.
Missing variable is:
CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER_ENV_VAR
CMake Error: Error required internal CMake variable not set, cmake may be
not be built correctly.
Missing variable is:
CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER
CMake Error: Could not find cmake module
file:C:/ITKBuild/CMakeFiles/CMakeCXXCompiler.cmake
CMake Error: CMAKE_C_COMPILER not set, after EnableLanguage
CMake Error: CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER not set, after EnableLanguage
Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!

I even tried this on two different computers (Win7 64-bit and a WinXP 32-bit
machine that I had never installed any of these programs on before, so I
know that one is unspoiled).  I see by your addition the path variable that
you installed MinGW to C:\MinGW which is where I installed it as well.  I
also double-checked that my path variable has additions for both MinGW and
CMake.

Let me ask you for a few more specifics in your instructions:

1.  You said "I installed mingw with the c++ compiler added to the default
options."  Please tell me all options that you selected.  When I run the
installer the only default that is selected is "MinGW base tools", so that
means the only things I had selected were "MinGW base tools" and "g++
compiler".

2. To what directory did you install CMake?  The default for me is
“C:\Program Files (x86)\CMake 2.8”, should I use this?

3. When you unzipped the Insight source, where did you put it?

4. What is the exact name and path of the build directory you used?

5. When configuring CMake you said "I browsed to the Insight source
directory."  Please specify exactly which directory you used.  It seems like
it should be obvious, but I have made mistakes here in the past.

6. After hitting "Configure" you say to choose "MinGW MakeFiles".  I also
see four options to choose from: Use default native compilers, Specify
native compiler, etc.  The first one is the default, is this what you used?