[Insight-users] SparseFieldLevelSetImageFilter Boundary Conditions

Brady McCary brady.mccary+ITK at gmail.com
Fri Feb 6 11:53:19 EST 2009

insight-users,

As an update to this thread, I have observed the following. To make
this description clear, remember that the level set method has a
concept of two regions: INSIDE and OUTSIDE. In ITK, the INSIDE
corresponds to negative values and OUTSIDE corresponds to positive
values. By the boundary pixels, I mean the pixels corresponding to the
boundary of a rectangular grid.

Then as for the boundary condition, this is what I have noticed. If
the initialization of the level set is such that boundary pixels are
OUTSIDE and evolution of the level set is such that in the final state
of the level set would be that boundary pixels are INSIDE, then in
many cases (but not all cases) the zero level set will propagate to
the boundary pixels, extending the INSIDE of the level set to
boundary, but the boundary pixels will remain OUTSIDE. Due to the
dynamics in my problem, it is clear that this is not appropriate.

So then to continue my speculation about what is causing this, perhaps:

1. I am abusing the boundary condition.
2. There is an assumption somewhere in ITK that INSIDE values will
only be in the interior of the image.
3. There is an assumption somewhere in ITK that the boundary pixels
will remain constant.
4. There is an assumption somewhere in ITK that the boundary pixels
will not change sign.

I am continuing to search for the root of the problem. Any light or
hints would be greatly appreciated.

Brady