[Insight-users] vessel segmentation

Bryn Lloyd blloyd at vision.ee.ethz.ch
Fri Feb 13 03:04:04 EST 2009

Hi,

I am trying to segment small vessels from MRA images (in mice).

The images typically have a spacing of [0.1, 0.1, 0.5] mm.

I find I can detect the vessels which are oriented more or less parallel
to the z-direction quite well. The in-slice (x-y) vessels are much more
difficult.

One of the problems is that a vessel might e.g. be at position [10,10]
in one slice and at [15,15] in the next. This large "jump" is due to the
large spacing in z-direction.

Can anybody suggest an approach which can handle such situations?

I have tried region growing on "vesselness" feature images, and thought
about using the CURVES algorithm. The problem with CURVES (I expect) is
that there will be holes where the level set can leak out.

In addition, the size of the vessels can be very small (approximately
2-5 pixels diameter). According to a mail from Luis, CURVES needs at
least 5 pixels to work well. Can one trick CURVES to work also for
smaller vessels, e.g. through (in-slice) re-sampling using nearest
neighbor interpolation?

Thanks
Bryn