[Insight-users] rescale

Andreas Schuh andreas.schuh.84 at googlemail.com
Fri Feb 13 08:28:14 EST 2009

Hi Ismail,

as the name and the methods of the filter imply does this filter rescale
the intensities of the input image linearly such that the intensities of
the output image range from OutputMinimum to OutputMaximum. So, the
minimum value of the input image is mapped to OutputMinimum and the
maximum value of the input image to OutputMaximum. The intensities in
between are scaled linearly, which means that the relative intervals of
the intensities remain the same. The scale is just shrinked or
stretched. This may be necessary if you attempt to cast the intensities
afterwards to another pixel type, for instance, before passing the image
to an WriteImageFilter.

In case of CT images, you have intensities that range from -1024 HU up
to 3071 HU. By just shifting the intensities by 1024 HU, you can store
the values as unsigned short, which is usually done. However, if you
would like to store the CT image as unsigned char, you would have to
rescale the intensities, whereby you loose information due to the
poorer quantization. Consider using the ShiftScaleImageFilter instead
for CT images.

--
regards
Andreas