[Insight-users] Using arbitrary interface as initalization for fast-marching filter

Dan Mueller dan.muel at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 07:53:25 EST 2009

Hi Amar,

ITK can indeed handle this situation. You should take the entire
binary image as the initial front (otherwise the front will expand
into the binary image as well as away). Here is a patch to
itkFastMarchingImageFilter which I use to set the trial points from an
image:

template <class TLevelSet, class TSpeedImage>
void
FastMarchingImageFilter<TLevelSet,TSpeedImage>
::SetTrialPointsFromImage( LabelImagePointer image )
{
  // Setup
  typedef ImageRegionConstIteratorWithIndex< LabelImageType > IteratorType;
  NodeContainer::Pointer nodes = NodeContainer::New();
  nodes->Initialize();
  IteratorType it( image, image->GetLargestPossibleRegion() );

  // Walk image
  unsigned int count = 0;
  for (it.GoToBegin(); !it.IsAtEnd(); ++it)
    {
    if (it.Get() > NumericTraits< LabelPixelType >::Zero)
      {
      NodeType node;
      node.SetIndex( it.GetIndex() );
      nodes->InsertElement( count++, node );