[Insight-users] about multithreading in ITK

Kaveh Kohan kaveh.kohan at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 21 12:01:08 EST 2009

Hello All,

I have a general question about multi-threading in ITK and I would be thankful if anybody
answer:

As far as I know, ITK uses vnl for linear albera operation but it is not
multithreaded (Please correct me if I am wrong). While many complicated
algorithm are already multithreaded in ITK, was there any technical reason that
linear algebra operation (like matrix-matrix multiplication, solving linear
system, LU, ....) is not multithreaded? Perhaps it didn't have priority.

I would be appreciated if you tell what is the best way to implement efficient,
multithread linear algebra operation. In case it is not a good idea to use ITK
API for multithreading of such operation, is there any third party multithreaded
libray for linear algebra operation that I can link to ITK.

Regards,
Kaveh