[Insight-users] updating softwareguide ?

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Wed Jul 1 12:27:19 EDT 2009

Hi Asamwm,

           This is an excellent idea !

and as you already pointed out,
it is fully consistent with the spirit of Open Source.

   We can think about it as a

               "Wikipedia for ITK".

The natural name that comes to mind is the

                "InsightClopedia"

So far we have used the ITK Wiki mostly for
coordination among developers and users,
but we have not used it for "community supported
documentation"

The nice thing is that we can start *right now,*
and all the infrastructure is already in place,
given that we can do this directly in the ITK Wiki.

Given that any user can get Wiki write access now,
(just need to perform an automatic email verification),
anybody willing to participate simply needs to get her/his
Wiki account, and we can start creating pages for
individual classes.

Note that we will also need pages for "groups" of classes
that work together. For example, in the Image Registration
framework.

I just created the top level page at

      http://www.itk.org/Wiki/ITK_InsightClopedia

and throwed an initial set of categories,
(that we will certainly have to reorganize latter).

At some point we may want to come-up with predefined
Wiki-macros, such as the ones used by the Wikipedia for
"countries", "atomic elements" and so on, in such a way
that we standardize the basic information about every
class.

   Please take a look at the top page and let us know
   what you think.

PS. Note that we could still do a community-effort on the Software Guide
       itself, given that its it all in LaTeX, and it is hosted in the same
CVS
       repository as ITK. (it may be a good option to keep in mind....)