[Insight-users] B-spline deformations for image registration?

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Mon Jul 6 09:04:48 EDT 2009

Hi Motes,

        I could find a question in your email...

Are you simply looking for generic comments in the matter ?

If so,
here are some:

Having BSpline grids that do not require a regular distribution
of nodes, and that allow to have nodes with different weights
will be very useful in medical imaging, given that most of the
time we have interesting information concentrated in the center
of the image, and a lot of pixel that we don't care about towards
the periphery.

   Whether something has been published on the matter or not,...

          I would consider that to be irrelevant.

First of all,
given that most publications in our field will be irreproducible
anyways...

and Secondly,
In today's environment of originality-obsessed publishing, the fact
that something has not been published, may indeed be taken as an
indication that this is a useful method that *actually* works in
practice, and simply lacks the "appearance of novelty" that we
shamefully have got to confuse as a requirement of scientific work.

So, if you have an scenario where you think that Non-uniform BSplines
could be applicable, it is certainly worthwhile to pursue an
implementation.

Don't let the decadence of the publishing system obstruct your
research work.