[Insight-users] Streamable image reading?

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Tue Jul 7 18:48:54 EDT 2009

Hi Luke,

0) The ImageIO classes that support streaming should provide the
    method

        GenerateStreamableReadRegionFromRequestedRegion()

1) At this point the ImageIO class that best supports Streaming are
    MetaImageIO and Nifti.

2) I think (subject to verification) that Nifti is providing support
    for Streaming when reading, but not when writing.

An example on how to implement Streaming (reading) ImageIO classes
is available at:

    http://svn.na-mic.org/NAMICSandBox/trunk/ImageIOStreaming/

In particular, look at the directory

http://svn.na-mic.org/NAMICSandBox/trunk/ImageIOStreaming/Source/

and the YAFF format (YAFF stands for "Yet Another File Format"),
which is a toy (but functional) example of streaming.

Details are available in the technical report that you find at:
http://svn.na-mic.org/NAMICSandBox/trunk/ImageIOStreaming/Documents/TechnicalReport/