[Insight-users] Building Insight hangs...

David Doria daviddoria+itk at gmail.com
Sun Jul 12 12:15:27 EDT 2009

> The first thing I would try is deleting the binary directory and building
> from scratch....

I started completely from scratch and this still happened.

> 1) Go to the Code/Common (binary) directory and type
>
>                 make  itkThreadLogger.o
>
>      Does it build ?

no

     Can you find the file:

>       Insight/Code/Common/CMakeFiles/ITKCommon.dir/itkThreadLogger.o
>
>       ??

No, it is not there.

> 2) How many cores does your machine has ?

I have 2 cores.

> 3) Compiler version ?

This seems to be the problem. I was using the cvs version of gcc. Like I
mentioned before, it works with everything else, so it seems very strange it
doesn't work with ITK? I reverted to the gcc that ships with Fedora 11 and
ITK compiled just fine (so at this point we can mark my problem "resolved").
I don't understand how 44% of ITK could build if there was a problem with
the compiler/environment?

> 4) When the processor is at 100%, what *exactly*
>     is the process that is taking 100% of the CPU ?
>
>            make ?, cmake ?, gcc ?  ld ?  as ?

cc1plus is taking 98.8% of the cpu

> 5) Does it always stop when building that file ?
>      itkThreadLogger.o ?
>      or have you seen this happen when building
>      other .o file ?

I am not 100% sure (as I wasn't paying attention on the other machine), but
on this one it has always been itkThreadLogger.o

Like I said, I am back up and running, but for information sake does it make
sense to you how the other compiler could "kind of" work?

Thanks,

David