[Insight-users] Workings of RegularStepGradientDescent Optimizer (with BSplineDeformableTransform)

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Tue Jul 28 07:54:54 EDT 2009

Hi Christian,

This optimizer does the following

    A)  Compute Gradient of the Cost function at initial point
    B)  Use current step length to multiply the unit vector
          of the gradient computed in (A)
    C)  Jump from current point to new point using the vector
          computed in (B)
    D)  compute direction of jump in (B) with the one of the
          previous iteration (by scalar product).
    E)  If directions are opposite, then reduce Step Length
          by the "Relaxation factor" (which by default is 0.5).
    F)  If current Step length is larger than Minimum Step
         length then goto (A).
    G) Otherwise, stop.