[Insight-users] Don't understand Figure 8.4 ItkSoftwareGuide

motes motes mort.motes at gmail.com
Sun Jun 21 18:34:07 EDT 2009

Figure 8.4 in the ItkSoftwareGuide contains three images of brain slices. It
has the following description:

"Figure 8.4: Mapped moving image and its difference with the fixed image
before and after registration"

1) As I understand the leftmost image is the moving image transformed into
the fixed image space.

2) The middle image is the difference image between the original fixed image
and the original moving image. And has nothing to do with the mapped moving
image.

3) The rightmost image is the difference between the transformed moving
image (the leftmost image) and the original fixed image.

I don't think it makes sense to call the middle image the difference between
the mapped moving image and the fixed image, since that would be the
rightmost image. And further I don't understand how it makes sense to talk
about the mapped moving image before the registration.  Or am I totally
missing the point here?