[Insight-users] Affine+Mattes 2D registration problem

Manuel David Tabas Calle manueldavid.tabas at hotmail.es
Wed Jun 24 07:21:40 EDT 2009

Hi!

I have a problem using an Affine transform with Mattes Mutual metric.

When I used an Affine transform, with MeanSquaresImageToImageMetric, my registration works perfectly, but it is really slow because my images are big (it last for 45 minutes). My images are between 2000x2000 and 4000x4000 pixels, with spacig of (1,1,1).

So i decided to use MattesMutualInformationImageToImageMetric, that is a faster metric. But the results are not good.

In both, I used the followin parameters:

optimizerScales[0] = 1.0;

optimizerScales[1] = 1.0;

optimizerScales[2] = 1.0;

optimizerScales[3] = 1.0;

optimizerScales[4] = 1.0/1000.0;

optimizerScales[5] = 1.0/1000.0;

steplength = 0.1

maxNumberOfIterations = 300;

minimumStepLength = 0.0001;

and

optimizer->MinimizeOn();

For the Mattes Mutual metric, I tried a lot of combinations of histogram bins and spatial samples, starting with 50 bins and a 20% of the pixels as spatial samples. But no matter what i try, the results are not good.

In both programs, i use LinearInterpolateImageFunction and RegularStepGradientDescentOptimizer.

How can I tune the parameters of the program with MattesMutual to obtain the same results???

Thank you all!!!