[Insight-users] Convert Zeiss .zvi files

Curtis Rueden ctrueden at wisc.edu
Wed Jun 24 14:55:51 EDT 2009

Hi Darren,

What's the latest on this project?  Is there a wiki how-to on this?

The project is currently under active development. Currently, the plugin
works with ITK 3.12 on Mac OS X and Linux. Soon it will compile with Visual
Studio on Windows as well (pending a commit from me -- and thanks to Alex
Gouaillard for his help tracking down some Windows issues).

There are a number of improvements I am in the process of making, including
support for RGB and vector images, and dimensions beyond 3D. I would also
like to make the build easier to do, as much as possible at least.

You can access the code by checking out the LOCI Software codebase from SVN:

  https://skyking.microscopy.wisc.edu/svn/java/trunk

The relevant components are in components/native/bf-cpp and
components/native/itk-plugin. See the readme.txt files for details. Please
note that as of this writing, the skyking server is down due to a
large-scale power outage on the UW-Madison campus (some construction mishap,
I think).

There is also a preliminary set of wiki pages on how to compile the plugin
on the FARSIGHT wiki at:

http://farsight-toolkit.org/wiki/FARSIGHT_Tutorials/Building_Software/Bio-Formats

Note that you do not actually need to build FARSIGHT to use the ITK plugin
as is (the wiki pages are written with the idea that the plugin will be used
within FARSIGHT, but there is no requirement to do so). The plugin is merely
an ITK ImageIO plugin, and should work with any code that uses
itkImageFileReader.

Lastly, a bug introduced in ITK CVS five weeks ago (which should be fixed
soon) will prevent the plugin from working properly with image data beyond
2D in certain cases.

I will keep the list posted on my progress.

-Curtis