[Insight-users] itk::AffineTransform

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Tue Jun 30 15:41:30 EDT 2009

Hi Motes,

You are right:

   An Affine Transform can represent a composition of

             * Translation
             * Rotation
             * Scaling
             * Shearing

So,Yes,
You could use an Affine transform in order to register
two image whose misalignment is composed of a rotation
and a translation.

However, it will be better to use a RigidTransform, since
you don't need the scaling and shearing parts of the
Affine transform.

If you use a RigidTransform in 3D you only need to optimize
a cost function in a 6-dimensional space, while if you use
an Affine transform, you need to optimize a cost function
in a 12-dimensional space.

Note that, sometimes it is advantageos to solve first the
Translational misalignment, and then correct for the rotation.
It all depends on how large either one is.