[Insight-users] Avoid rescale slope for PET images

Mathieu Malaterre mathieu.malaterre at gmail.com
Fri Jun 26 08:13:07 EDT 2009

On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 1:18 PM, Peter von
Niederhaeusern<pvonnied at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> I'm reading in a series of PET images to build a volume.
> I also would like to create a histogram of the series.
>
> It seems that ITK always tries to apply the rescale slope while
> reading in the data. This is not desired in my case...
>
> Is it possible to avoid the DICOM flag "0028|1053" (rescale slope)
> in ITK to obtain the possibility to get a correct histogram?

No, you can't. The basic idea (esp. in the case of PET) is that
Rescale Intercept / Rescale Slope is changing within the Series, thus
making the histogram pretty much meaningless.

If you really want to use the Stored Pixel Value (without unit, or
meaning) you'll have to comment out the portion of code in
itk::GDCMImageIO for your purpose.

HTH
--
Mathieu