[Insight-users] labeling by reconstruction available? Thanks for ITK

lynx.abraxas at freenet.de lynx.abraxas at freenet.de
Fri Jun 26 17:23:08 EDT 2009

Thanks Richard Beare!

That's  exactly  what I was missing in the main ITK. As far as I understand it
has even both the labeling by reconstruction and  also  the  analysis  of  the
labels I'm looking for.

Having  worked with VGstudioMax, Amira/Avizo and MAVI I was quite disappointed
about the functionality and quality of these commercial  products.  A  totally
wrong  MOI analysis cost me weeks of debugging my code until I figured out the
analysis values were bad.

Now having read a bit I'm excited to test ITK. As an open  source  project  it
seems  bugs  are found easier, corrected quicklier and delt with more honestly
than in commercial products. I must say that  this  ITK  open  source  project
sounds  really  too good to be true but I feel very confident now it will full
fill all my expectations.

With this I want to thank the developers  of  ITK  for  their  great  work  in
coding, testing and documenting.

I plan to code a program doing:

(- automatic thresholding like otsu's thr.)
- label the objects by watershed or reconstruction
-  get  the  MOI  for  each  label  object  to  calculate  the axes ratios and
orientations
- dilate/erode each single object in its own space

Now I wonder what would You recommend to use in my situation python or c++?

Many thanks
Lynx