[Insight-users] label object manipulation

Gaëtan Lehmann gaetan.lehmann at jouy.inra.fr
Mon Jun 29 15:22:24 EDT 2009

Le 28 juin 09 à 22:24, lynx.abraxas at freenet.de a écrit :

> Hello!
>

> Since  this  extension  seems  to  be  exactly what I'm looking for
> I tinkered
> around a little to get familiar with itk and these filters. Taking
> the Insight
> Journal  Article 176 - "Label object representation and manipulation
> with ITK"
> as  documentation  I'm  wondering  if   EquivalentEllipsoidSize
> yields   the
> ellipsoids  axes  lengths or the eigenvalues as discribed in "A
> Label Geometry
> Image Filter for Multiple Object Measurement" (Id 301)?

The ellipsoids axes lengths.
Please be sure to use the last version, which may contain some bug
fixes.

   http://voxel.jouy.inra.fr/darcs/contrib-itk/binaryAttributeMorphology/binaryAttributeMorphology.tar.gz

> I hope I haven't missed this in the discription  but  I'm
> wondering  how  the
> filters  decide   what particles are separated. I know from MAVI
> (labelling by
> reconstruction) that I can choose a kernel of six neighbouring
> voxels  or  26
> (in  3D). Is there such a parameter in the itk filters? If not: What
> kernel is
> used or is it done completly different?

It's SetFullyConnected(bool). With "true" as parameter, you get 26-
connectivity, with "false", you get 6-connectivity.

> An other question I have: Can I use the  labelling  of  a  labeld
> water  shed
> filter output as the labelling in the analysis?

You can use itk::LabelImageToLabelMapFilter to convert the label image
produced by the watershed to a LabelMap.
itk::LabelImageToShapeLabelMapFilter and
itk::LabelImageToStatisticsLabelMapFilter may be useful too, as they
also compute the values of some attributes, in a single filter.

> A feature I'd be interested in would be a surface area analysis of
> each label.
> As far as I understand this is connected to the surface from the
> marching cube
> algorithm.  So  I wonder if this would be a feature of vtk but does
> it support
> analysis of labeled objects?

You can already retrieve an estimation of the surface with this
contribution. It's a bit longer to compute than the other attribute,
so you have to call SetComputePerimeter(true) on the filter. Then you
can use GetPerimeter() to get the surface of an object.

See http://voxel.jouy.inra.fr/darcs/contrib-itk/binaryAttributeMorphology/attribute_values_test.cxx
  for an example.

Gaëtan