[Insight-users] region growing segmentation -- isolatedConnectedImageFilter

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Thu Mar 12 11:13:43 EDT 2009

Hi Sara,

Please note that the filter
http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1IsolatedConnectedImageFilter.html

has two modes of operation.

A) One mode is to segment a dark region by preventing it from
    entering a neighbor bright region.

                  FindUpperThresholdOn()

B) Another mode is to segment a bright region by preventing
    it from entering a neighbor dark region.

                  FindUpperThresholdOff()

So, you have to select the proper mode, that corresponds to
the bright/dark or dark/bright combination of your case.

Note that something similar can also be done with the filter
http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1IsolatedWatershedImageFilter.html
(although a derivative pre-processing may be needed)

     Regards,