[Insight-users] Apply an ITK filter on a VTK object

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Thu Mar 12 13:25:38 EDT 2009

Hi Nourmestiri,

                        Welcome to ITK !

There are to options that come to mind as possible solutions to your
problem:

       A) The easy one:  ITK can read images from VTK files.
          Simply use the ImageFileReader to read the .vtk image
          and then apply ITK filters at will. At the end of your
          pipeline you could also write the image back into a VTK
          file if you wish to do so.

       B) The not-so-easy one: Use the ITK-VTK import/export filters
          in order to convert VTK images into ITK images and back

          This is explained in the Tutorials:
          http://www.itk.org/ITK/help/tutorials.html

          in particular in the Session:
          "Using ITK and VTK"
          http://www.itk.org/CourseWare/Training/GettingStarted-II.pdf

          You will find the Import/Export classes in the directory

                 InsightApplications/Auxiliary/vtk

       C) The high-level on:
          You can use the classes provided in the Insight Journal paper
          http://www.insight-journal.org/browse/publication/146

          These classes can also be found in the directory:

                 InsightApplications/Auxiliary/vtk

Please let us know if you find any problem,