[Insight-users] Problem with MultiResImageRegistration2.cxx: Doesn't work with rotation

Albert Gubern bertkrek at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 18:38:15 EDT 2009

Hi,

I'm using MultiResImageRegistration2.cxx in order to correct global pose
differences of two images. My goal is a registration of prostate MRI of
differents patients for a atlas building. I am testing this example with
images from Examples/Data of ITK source: BrainProtonDensitySliceBorder20.png
as a fixed and BrainProtonDensitySliceR10X13Y17.png as a moving.

The registration works if the moving image only has a translation but it
doesn't work with the images that i'm testing it (translation and rotation).

I have tuned the parameters following the instructions of
http://www.itk.org/pipermail/insight-users/2007-March/021435.html but it is
no way to obtain a good result. If I set the translationScales and
rotationScales with the same value (for example 1), the result image appears
correctly rotated but in the right corner of the top of the image  (
http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/5148/test1.png). Otherwise, if I set the
translationScales with smaller values than rotationScales ( 1/1000 and 1
respectively) the images appears correctly in the center but not enough
rotated (http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/9317/test2m.png). The maxStep
length is 0.1, the minstepLength 0.001, 100% of samples and 128 number of
bins.

I tested with a lot of combinations of parameters with and without sense,
and I don't understand the behaviour. What is the problem? Is The way how I
tune the parameters? This framework it isn't right for translation+rotation?

Thanks in advance,

--
Albert