[Insight-users] ITK and netlab

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Tue Mar 31 19:42:58 EDT 2009

Hi Kaveh,

Your first two questions will be better addressed if you post them to
the VXL users list.

(it is a kind way to say that : we don't really know....)    :-)

--

In the context of ITK, we use VXL mainly for providing the following
functionalities

    A) Linear algebra solutions
    B) Optimization

most of the methods for (A) and (B) will be provided by vnl throught
the vnl_matrix
and vnl_vector classes. You will find the most used method under the directory

                                Insight/Utilities/vxl/core/vnl/algo

Some of these algorithms are implemented in VXL by making calls to functions
provided by blas, while others are provided by lapack.

When we make use of vxl, we rarely expose the internal implementations of the
methods. That is, we never call  the blas or lapack routines directly.
Instead we
do this through the C++ API defined by VXL.

What specific functionalities do you have in mind ?

Are you looking for Linear Algebra ? or for Optimizations  ? or something else ?

   Please let us know,