[Insight-users] Reading 4D images from Dicom files, in a generic manner

poireau joelthelion at laposte.net
Thu May 7 10:03:35 EDT 2009

Hi all,

I'm trying to build an "open dicom" function into the open-source 4d image
viewer vv. I know there is support in ITK to read 3D volumes from many Dicom
files, but I was wondering if there is something similar for 4D? I've seen
at least two ways to represent 4D sequences with dicom files:

1) The CT we are using creates on Dicom Series per time frame

2) I've seen some cardiac PET images where the whole 4D sequence is in only
one sequence, with one or more dicom fields used to differentiate the
different time frames ("Trigger Time", "Content Time")

Manufacturers have probably invented even more ways to do 4D with dicom
files :-(. So it would definitely be interesting to have an abstraction over
these, to allow the developer to simply Read() the sequence and get the
correct 4d image dimensions, without the hassle of dealing with different
manufacturer schemes.

Does that functionality already exist somehow in ITK or GDCM? Have some
people on this list already tried to deal with this problem?

Thanks,

joel