[Insight-users] How to set Arbitrary Center of Rotation

Daniel Blezek Blezek.Daniel at mayo.edu
Thu May 7 10:00:41 EDT 2009

Hi Mike,

  I usually think of this as a composition of three homogeneous transforms.
If we let C be the point you'd like to rotate around, and T_{R} be the
rotation you want to apply.

T_{all} = T_{C} * T_{R} * T_{-C}

Any point in homogeneous form can be multiplied as:

P' = T_{all} * P

This will first shift the image so it's origin is at the point C, then
rotate about the point, and finally undo the first translation.  The
operations are applied in a right to left order.  (Forgive me if this was
pedantic).

Best regards,
-dan

--
Daniel Blezek, PhD
Medical Imaging Informatics Innovation Center

P 127 or (77) 8 8886
T 507 538 8886
E blezek.daniel at mayo.edu

Mayo Clinic