[Insight-users] Question Regarding Insight Journal & Copyrights

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Sun May 10 19:00:29 EDT 2009

Hi Amit,

Thanks a lot for your interest in the Insight Journal.

Let's start by differentiating between

      A) The Insight Journal (The Open Access Online Journal) and
      B) The Insight Toolkit   (The Open Source Software Toolkit)

Regarding the Insight Journal:

a) No, you are NOT required to transfer any copyright to
    the Insight Journal when you submit a paper to it.

    The Insight Journal is an Open Access Journal, and
    it simply requires you to put your paper under a

        Creative Commons by Attribution License.

    You (or your employer) keep the copyright of the paper
    and are free to redistribute it in any way you want.

    The Creative Commons by Attribution license that
    you provide for the paper, authorizes anybody in the
    world to copy, redistribute and create derivative works
    from your paper under the condition of giving you credit
    for the original work.

b) The code accompanying your paper can be put under
     any license, as long as it is an Open Source license.

     This is the only way that users (readers) will be allowed
     to legally download, redistribute and modify the software.

     You don't need to transfer the copyright of your code to
     the Insight Software Consortium when you submit a paper
     to the Insight Journal.

c) There are cases, however, in which authors submit papers
     to the Insight Journal, with the express intention of contributing
     this code to be integrated with the Insight Toolkit software.

     In that particular case, once the community has expressed interest
     in your code, the code would be moved into the Insight/Code/Review
     directory of ITK.  At that point, if you want your code to become part
     of ITK, then you would be required to transfer the copyright to the
     Insight Software Consortium.

Please let us know if you have further questions,