[Insight-users] Question Regarding Insight Journal & Copyrights

Torsten Rohlfing torsten at synapse.sri.com
Mon May 11 19:20:09 EDT 2009

Hi Luis:

I have a quick question regarding this section of your comment on ISJ
and copyright:

> c) There are cases, however, in which authors submit papers
>      to the Insight Journal, with the express intention of contributing
>      this code to be integrated with the Insight Toolkit software.
>
>      In that particular case, once the community has expressed interest
>      in your code, the code would be moved into the Insight/Code/Review
>      directory of ITK.  At that point, if you want your code to become part
>      of ITK, then you would be required to transfer the copyright to the
>      Insight Software Consortium.

Why is it necessary to transfer copyright? It seems to me that licensing
the code under the BSD license is all that is needed. Copyright transfer
seems a bit excessive. Indeed, I believe the practice of leaving the
copyright with the original contributor is quite common with many other
open source projects (please correct me if I am mistaken).

Best,
  Torsten

--
Torsten Rohlfing, PhD          SRI International, Neuroscience Program
 Senior Research Scientist      333 Ravenswood Ave, Menlo Park, CA 94025

     "Though this be madness, yet there is a method in't"