[Insight-users] ITK for fluorescence microscopy - BioImageXD

alex gouaillard Alexandre_Gouaillard at hms.harvard.edu
Mon May 11 10:40:07 EDT 2009

On May 11, 2009, at 10:14 AM, Daniel James White wrote:

> Hi Alex,
>

> On May 11, 2009, at 4:12 PM, alex gouaillard wrote:
>>
>> BioImageXD is also a wonderful application that has a lot of nice
>> features. They also developed an LSM reader which is the most
>> complete LSM reader freely available in the ITK / VTK community.
>> They also went the extra mile to make this LSM reader available
>> under BSD, and we're using it right now. By the way Dan, we are
>> going to release a channel unmixing (FastICA) code in ITK soon. You
>> might be interested in integrating it.
>>

> cheers for the props!
> spectral / channel Unmixing might be interesting yes! cheers for the
> hint!

you're welcome. I have to give you guys some kudo in ohloh, you;re
filter really helps. I added some minor features that I will
contribute back to you first when it will be a little more stable (2
months) and then we can move on to make it part of VTK.

>> BioImageXD: mainly C/C++ and python. Use ITK / VTK / wxWindow /
>> wxPython. Intenral support for specific formats (zeiss, leica, ...).
>> Application, but i suppose python module could be used
>> independently? License GPL which prevents me from reading the code.
>>

> really...? Why? You are in academia right?

yes, I am in academia. but here it is not a question of academia vs
private, or non profit vs profit, it s a pure question of licensing.

Let's say I want to distribute my code under BSD. We could find many
reasons for that, first to give complete freedom to anybody to use it
the way they want. Second if one day we want to make compony on too of
it (just like 100ximaging is doing now with their original project),
or for transferring to ITK / VTK later.

If I read GPL code and then write a code (anytime in the future) that
does the equivalent work, I can never claim to be 100% independent
of / uninspired by the GPL code, and thus, the contamination process
start, my code must be GPL. two comments here, of course, this is only
the case if someone sue you, but you never know. Also it would legal
for one individual to read the GPL code, write down the algorithm on a
sheet of paper, then pass it over to another individual that never
read the code and would implement the algorithm from the drawing /
diagram on the paper. This is legal, but a lot of work.

So I could read the code, but then, I woudl make my life seriously
more complicated :-)

alex.