[Insight-users] Can I use ITK to manipulate Matlab and XRraySim?

lu kang lu.kang07 at googlemail.com
Wed May 20 21:22:30 EDT 2009

Dear All,

I am taking up someone else's project, where the image processing program
has been developed in Matlab. The ultimate goal is to compare two images for
the same object. One is clinical X-ray image. The other one needs to
be generated from the CAE model (solid 3-dimensional model created in
mechanical drawing software such as ProE and AutoCAD) at a certain
orientation. Right now, the image for the CAE model at certain orientation
is created in VRbuilder, which gives the VRML file. The VRML file is not an
image and therefore cannot be directly compared with the clinical X-ray
image.

So I need to explore a software to be able to orient the CAE model and take
a radiographic image of this model. In the mean time, I wish this software
can be compatible with the exiting Matlab codes in order to automatize the
whole imaging processing process. As far as I know, XRaySim can orient the
CAE model and take a radiographic image of this model. I wonder if ITK is
able to manipulate the XRaySim. If ITK does, could I use Matlab to
manipulate ITK afterwards? If anyone else has the experience to deal with
the similar problem I have encountered, could you please tell me what the
best solution will be?

Many thanks,
Lu