[Insight-users] How to know what parameters of a filter need to be set?

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Sun Nov 1 17:00:04 EST 2009

Hi Roman,

Thanks for your comments,

You are pointing out to an important weakness of ITK as a toolkit.

As you mentioned, the level of documentation that you are looking for
is above the level that the typical Doxygen documentation provides.

We were hoping that the ITK Software Guide would provide that
extra information that fully describes how to use a filter. However
as you indicate, the Software Guide does not cover all the filters
in ITK.

Despite its 830 pages, it probably covers less than 20%
of the toolkit.

The "InsightClopedia"

              http://www.itk.org/Wiki/ITK_InsightClopedia

has been suggested as an alternative solution to this problem.

The idea, is that, collecting the information that you are asking
for requires a lot of work, and that, therefore we should distribute
the load of that work among many members of the ITK community.

Think of a Wikipedia where every page is one filter of ITK. The
page will be written by both developers and users, and will include
practical examples (even with input images and output images)
describing how to use the class.

This won't be done overnight...
but may be an option for gathering the collective intelligence
of the community.

Please let us know what you think of this alternative,