[Insight-users] MattesMutualInformation metric: Fixed and moving image desired features

Karthik Krishnan karthik.krishnan at kitware.com
Tue Nov 3 07:25:58 EST 2009

On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 7:12 AM, Oscar Esteban Sanz-Dranguet <
oesteban at die.upm.es> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to perform intra-subject rigid registration between MR & SPECT
> images. I would like the MR to be the fixed image, BUT I've found that if I
> use the SPECT as fixed, the registration is more quick and accurate. Why
> does it happen?

It should be quicker, using a lower resolution image as the fixed image, for
most metrics. The metric is evaluated at each sample point on the fixed
image, typically all voxels in the fixed image.

Most metrics sample the whole fixed image. With Mattes, contrary to what you
report, one would expect the times to be roughly the same (assuming that you
have the same number of samples in both cases).

The final resampling step though, should be a lot faster using the fixed
image as the low res image, since the moving image is resampled to the fixed
image grid, ie the iterator walks through every pixel in the fixed image and
computes the intensity of the moving voxel that resamples onto this
location.