[Insight-users] Literature about itk::RegularStepGradientDescentOptimizer ?

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Tue Nov 10 19:31:20 EST 2009

Hi Motes

It is simply a gradient descent optimizer in which the
advancement step is updated at every step based on
whether the optimizer changed direction or not in the
parametric space.

The name "RegularStep" itself is something we made
up in the early development stages of the project  in
order to differentiate this optimizer from the other
"GradientDescent" which uses the gradient magnitude
in order to compute the step length via a multiplier
(learning rate).

If you simply search for Gradient Descent optimizers
and any scheme for computing the step length of such
optimizers you probably will find something that can
be used as a reference.

Are you looking for a citation to use in a paper ?

or are you looking for background to help you
understand how the optimizer works ?

    Regards