[Insight-users] WrapITK and Java Bindings

Julien Michel julien.michel at c-s.fr
Thu Nov 12 12:45:03 EST 2009

Gaëtan Lehmann a écrit :

> Le 10 nov. 09 à 16:31, Julien Michel a écrit :
>
>> Luis Ibanez a écrit :
>>> Hi Julien,
>>> This is a very interesting question.
>>> Yes, this could be done...  (...but....)
>>> 1) When you wrap ITK with WrapITK for Java,
>>>     the java files are generated in the directory:
>>>    ${ITK_BIN}/Wrapping/WrapITK/Java/InsightToolkit
>>> 2) You could go there and run javadoc with a command
>>>     such as
>>>            javadoc -J-Xmx100m -d Documentation  itkA*.java
>>>     Note that for my test I limited the list to the ITK classes
>>>     whose name starts with "A".... (you probably will do it
>>>     with all the *.java files.
>>> 3)  This effectively generates the HTML files in the
>>>      "Documentation" directory (that was the argument of
>>>      the -d option of javadoc)
>>> 4) ...but...
>>>      Since the wrapping process has not carried the C++
>>>      documentation comments down to the .java files,
>>>      javadoc can only produce the raw documentation
>>>      that describes the class hierarchies and the function
>>>      arguments of every class.
>>> 5)   For this to be really useful, we would have to modify
>>>      the wrapping process in order to carry along the C++
>>>      comments above all the ITK classes and methods,
>>>      to make that information available to javadoc at the
>>>      level of the Java files.
>>> Would you like to give it a shot at implementing such
>>> feature in WrapITK ?
>>> or, would you like at least to report this as a
>>> "feature request" in the Bug tracker ?
>>> http://public.kitware.com/Bug/my_view_page.php
>>
>> Dear Luis,
>>
>> I came to the same conclusion : one can generate the javadoc, but it
>> is not very useful without importing proper information from the C++
>> doxygen comments.
>>
>> I may have to solve this issue for some of our needs, and in this case
>> I would of course be glad to contribute a new feature to WrapITK.
>> However, I am quite new to swig and WrapITK, so I would need more
>> information on how (and where) to start.
>

> Hi Julien,
>
> There is already a doc generator for python in WrapITK 0.3.0 - it puts
> the same doc as in doxygen in python docstrings. See the code in
>
>   http://code.google.com/p/wrapitk/source/browse/#svn/trunk/Languages/Doc
>
> Unfortunately, javadoc does not use the same mechanisms and is not well
> integrated in swig.
>
>   http://www.swig.org/Doc1.3/Java.html#javadoc_comments
>
> Anyway, It should be possible to do something for java similar to what
> is done for python.

Gaetan, Luis,

In order to understand the process I tried to generate docstring for
python, but I did not manage to do it.

In Guide.txt, it is said that one has to set the DOXYGEN_MAN_PATH when
configuring in cmake but I never get this variable and I can not find
the make_doxygen_config.py in Python directory in the binary directory.

I must have missed something, but what ? Doxygen is correctly found on
my system in WrapITK and ITK (I set BUILD_DOXYGEN to ON).

Any idea ?

Regards,

Julien

Julien MICHEL - Ingénieur d'études - Traitement d'images
CS Systèmes d'Information - Division ESPACE
Département Information Géographique & Image
Téléphone : +33 561 17 64 27
Email : julien.michel at c-s.fr