[Insight-users] equivalence of Gaussian and low-pass-FFT

C.Cagatay Bilgin bilgic at cs.rpi.edu
Thu Nov 12 15:37:57 EST 2009

Your question is actually independent of the ITK
usage. Convolution in time domain corresponds
to multiplication in frequency domain, so gaussian
filtering your image is actually multiplying the FFT
of your image with the FFT of the gaussian filter you
used (you might need some padding as most probably
your gaussian filter is was smaller than your image).

If you want to clean up your image a little, I would say
do not go to FFT just do it in time domain using the
gaussian filters provided in the toolkit as you will
need less number of lines of code.

By the way, is the Insight-Book are you referring
the software manual or something else ?

Cemal Cagatay Bilgin,
Ph.D Candidate in Computer Science Department at RPI
bilgic at cs.rpi.edu - http://www.cs.rpi.edu/~bilgic
Lally 01A, 110 8th Street Troy, NY 12180-3590, USA.
Tel: (518) 276-8489, Fax:(518) 276-4033