[Insight-users] Whats most expensive; the optimizer or the metric?

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Sun Nov 15 14:13:14 EST 2009

Hi Motes,

Your assumption is correct.

The Metric is the class that consumes most of
the computation time during a registration process.

In particular, the methods:

   GetValue()
   GetValueAndDerivative()

are the ones that will take the bulk of the computation time.

The Optimizer intervenes at short times, just to figure out
what set of parameters to use next when calling the GetValue()
or GetValueAndDerivative() methods of the Metric.