[Insight-users] Re : how to reduce a size of a dicom serie 3D

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Sun Nov 15 18:39:14 EST 2009

Hi Syrine,

1) What is the content of your DICOM image ?

    Is it a CT scan of the brain ?
    Is it a MRI of the abdomen ?
    Could you post a screenshot of it to a public web site ?

Please let us know,

----

If you need to reduce the memory footprint of the image,

    the typical options are:

A) Subsample the image (as Xabier suggested)

B) Crop the image (by using the RegionOfInterestImageFilter)
     and focus on the internal rectangular block of the image
     that contains the anatomy of interest.

C) Change the pixel type of the image.
     (e.g. if you had PET in float, you could scale it to
      shorts).   This last one is in general a bad option,
     given that it is very easy to lose important information

Once you answer question (1) above , we will be able to
give you more useful advice.