[Insight-users] Granulometry filter in ITK?

Gaëtan Lehmann gaetan.lehmann at jouy.inra.fr
Mon Nov 16 09:46:22 EST 2009

Hi,

There is no filter ready to use for this task in ITK at this time.
However, I believe that most of the tools needed are there.

If I get it right, you want to do the local texture analysis used page
322 of Soille's book to segment the two kind of forest. As I
understand it, with a statistics which is the size of the kernel for
the maximum value of the derivative, it can be computed that way:

Input: I (the input image), KL (the kernel list), N (the neighbourhood
where the statistics is computed)
D = domain(I)
M = localMean(I)
O = newImage(D, 0)
for k in KL
   I = opening(I, k)
   M2 = localMean(I, N)
   for i in D
     if M2[i] > M[i]:
       O[i] = size(k)
   M = M2
return O

If the neighbourhood used to compute the mean is a box, it can be
efficiently computed with http://www.itk.org/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1BoxMeanImageFilter.html
Richard and I have also contributed some efficient filters for
morphological opening - http://hdl.handle.net/1926/555 , already in
ITK Review.

The last missing thing is the implementation of the main algorithm
above, and the contribution to the insight journal ;-)

Gaëtan