[Insight-users] PUBLISHING: Can you post your papers in your web site ?

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Tue Nov 24 16:59:59 EST 2009

From:
http://www.realtimerendering.com/blog/ke-sen-huangs-paper-pages-are-down-will-soon-go-back-up/

<quote>

"Ke-Sen Huang’s paper pages are down, will soon go back up"

November 23, 2009

We have mentioned Ke-Sen Huang’s awesome paper preprint link pages in
many previous posts – they’re the best graphics resource on the web by
a long shot.

Early last week, many people (including myself) were shocked to see most of the
pages replaced by the following:

REMOVED –
This page has been removed at the request of the ACM Publications Board

This resulted in an outpouring
http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/a6tsm/acm_censoring_linking_to_publically_available/

of anger
http://realtimecollisiondetection.net/blog/?p=101

as well as support
http://ompf.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&p=16492

for Ke-Sen.  Many people in the community contacted the ACM Publications
Board to try to convince them to change their position.

Fortunately, the story has a happy ending.
Today, Ke-Sen received the following email:

    Dear Ke-Sen,

    As you are aware, the computer graphics community has expressed
dismay and concern about the removal of your web pages. ACM wants to
make it possible for you to continue this service that the community
clearly values very highly. By this message ACM grants permission for
you to repost the pages, with the addition of links to the
authoritative versions of the papers in the ACM Digital Library. The
author’s home page links may also be included, but should not be links
directly to the author’s version of the paper. Please post on the site
that the information is being provided with the permission of the ACM.
This is the solution you proposed earlier, and it is clear from the
community’s comments that it is the right thing to do.

    As you know, the concern about your pages was ACM copyright policy
with regard to links. As a result of the community discussion, ACM
will institute a formal review of this portion of its copyright
policy.

    Please contact us with any concerns or questions.

    Sincerely,

    Patricia Ryan
    ACM Chief Operating Officer

ACM also offered to help with the work of adding the Digital Library
links.  So nothing will be removed from Ke-Sen’s pages, and additional
useful links will be added.

It will take a little while until the pages are back up, but they will
be better than ever.  In the meantime, you can go to the Way Back
Machine and find his pages from 2007 and earlier.

The graphics community has engaged with the ACM in a much more active
manner than usual, which is a good thing.  We need to remember that it
is our organization, and it is only as good as we make it.  So
consider volunteering for conferences, paying more attention to ACM
elections, etc. – I know I will

</quote>