[Insight-users] Translation, Rotation and Scaling

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Sun Sep 13 11:25:49 EDT 2009

Hi Ramon,

I'm not quite persuaded by your demonstration.  :-)

First of all, your image: "orig-scaling-rotation.jpg"

doesn't seem to have any rotation applied to it...

Are you sure that you attached the correct image ?

Second:
Yes,
I agree with you, in that the order of operations,
is important.

Third:
A Transform has Shearing if it doesn't preserve
the angles between straight lines.

A Transform that applies anisotropic scaling,
indeed, doesn't preserve angles.

You may be getting too focused on treating
the X,Y axis as if they were special lines in
the plane.  You probably will see this clearer
if you think about the geometric Transformation
in terms of their effects on basic geometric
figures such a square, a circle, two lines at
an angle and so on...