[Insight-users] Translation, Rotation and Scaling

Ramón Casero Cañas ramon.casero at comlab.ox.ac.uk
Tue Sep 15 12:13:55 EDT 2009

Luis Ibanez wrote:
> Hi Ramon,
>
> I'm not quite persuaded by your demonstration.  :-)

Hi Luis,

That's fine, because what you are saying is right :)

> First of all, your image: "orig-scaling-rotation.jpg"
>
> doesn't seem to have any rotation applied to it...

Yes, it's not very clear. In orig-rotation-scaling.jpg, there's a
rotation, scaling, and another rotation to go back to a landscape image.

In orig-scaling-rotation.jpg, there's a scaling, and then the rotation
and counter rotation cancel each other.

What I wanted to illustrate, and it seems that I didn't make it very
clear, is that with a scaling followed by rotation, one cannot make the
buildings skewed to one side (in the sense of losing the right angles).

> Third:
> A Transform has Shearing if it doesn't preserve
> the angles between straight lines.
>
> A Transform that applies anisotropic scaling,
> indeed, doesn't preserve angles.
>
> You may be getting too focused on treating
> the X,Y axis as if they were special lines in
> the plane.  You probably will see this clearer
> if you think about the geometric Transformation
> in terms of their effects on basic geometric
> figures such a square, a circle, two lines at
> an angle and so on...

The not slanted buildings is what I had in mind when talking about
shear.

However, you are right. Although scaling + rotation will preserve right
angles parallel to the X, Y axis (and thus the squareness of the picture
frame), it changes other angles.

Thanks for the discussion, it was very interesting.

A derived question would then be, according to the discussion, with 5
parameters (2 scalings + 2 translations + 1 rotation) it seems that you
can get all in an affine transformations. But the affine transformation
has 6 parameters. Is it redundant in one parameter? Is there something
I'm missing?

Ramon.

--
Ramón Casero Cañas, DPhil

Computational Biology, Computing Laboratory
University of Oxford
Wolfson Building, Parks Rd
Oxford OX1 3QD

tlf     +44 (0) 1865 610807