[Insight-users] ITK_EXPORT

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Thu Sep 24 12:57:30 EDT 2009

Hi Sophie,

The ITK_EXPORT tag is only used for helping our testing
system identify which classes have (or not) correct
implementations of the PrintSelf() method.

The reason for the Tag, is to help a primitive Tcl code,
parse complex C++ code and identify where C++ classes
are defined.

Please, simply ignore this tag.

Note however, that other classes will have symbols such
as

      ITKCommon_EXPORT

This symbol is a macro that, when building on Windows,
with Shared libraries, gets replaced with the typical
__declspec pragmas that make some symbols of a shared
library to be visible for linking.

You will find the definition of this macro in the file

     Insight/Code/Common/itkWin32Header.h

in line 94-103:

#if (defined(_WIN32) || defined(WIN32)) && !defined(ITKSTATIC)
# ifdef ITKCommon_EXPORTS
#  define ITKCommon_EXPORT __declspec(dllexport)
# else
#  define ITKCommon_EXPORT __declspec(dllimport)
# endif  /* ITKCommon_EXPORT */
#else
/* unix needs nothing */
#define ITKCommon_EXPORT