[Insight-users] Lidar-toImage registration with Rigid3DPerspectiveTransform

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Sat Apr 3 18:33:45 EDT 2010

Hi Ruisheng,

In order to use this class effectively, you should
first become very familiar with the ITK Registration
Framework.

Please read the ITK Software Guide:

       http://www.itk.org/ItkSoftwareGuide.pdf

In particular the Chapter 8 "Image Registration"
in pdf-pages:  347-533.

Once you are familiar with the framework,
you may want use the following configuration:

1) Use the PointSetToImageRegistration class

2) Use the itkPointSetToImageMetric class

3) Use the perspective transform

4) Start with an optimizer that does not require
    derivatives (e.g. the Amoeba optimizer).

Key factors for a successful registration are:

A)  Good initialization of the Transform

B)  Steady setup for the optimizer parameters

C) Proper scaling of the Transform parameters.

In your case, please note that (A) includes to
make a very good initialization for the center
of projection and the focal distance, and that
(B) means that you should start with optimizer
settings that barely modify the Transform, and
from them you can progress towards having
the Transform explore a wider range of
parameters.