[Insight-users] StatisticsLabelObject

Christian Werner christian.werner at rwth-aachen.de
Wed Apr 14 17:06:14 EDT 2010

Hello!

I am wondering why the StatisticsLabelObject has the exact same and
additional information as the ShapeLabelObject. Doesn't this make the
itkShapeLabelObject obsolete? Or maybe having both can speed up your
software if you're interested only in the shape attributes.

Well this is not so important, there is something else that's not clear
to me. In the StatisticLabelObject I find such pairs of functions:

GetBinaryElongation() and GetElongation(),
GetBinaryFlatness() and GetFlatness(), ...

How do they differ? Also, I find the paper explaining the handling of
these libraries ("Label Object Representation and Manipulation in ITK")
a bit outdated. Is there a newer version? If there is a demand I'd be
happy to invest some time updating some sections, especially the example
section where I am missing some typical applications (at least for what
I am doing).

Also, the doxygen documentation presents the StatisticsLabelMapFilter
like this:
itk::BinaryImageToStatisticsLabelMapFilter< TInputImage, TFeatureImage,
TOutputImage > Class Template Reference

Hmm... 2 Inputs. One of them a has features.(?) It is hard to understand
which input has which purpose at first glance. The documentation shows
an example that uses a mask as the TInputImage so maybe it would be a
good idea to call it TMaskImage.

Anyway, I have these classes implemented nicely into my software and I
can't stress enough how glad I am that these ITK classes exist. I just
wanted to point out that the documentation could use an update.

Best regards,
Christian