[Insight-users] Smoothing an image by a sliding ball or paraboloid.

Roman Grothausmann roman.grothausmann at helmholtz-berlin.de
Thu Apr 22 10:08:40 EDT 2010

Dear Richard,

Richard Beare wrote:
> I've submitted a suite of parabolic morphology tools to the insight journal :
>
> http://hdl.handle.net/1926/1370

I get redirected to http://ij.itk.org/midas/item/view/2280 and then it says:
You cannot access this item!

But I found it over the Insight Journal search:
http://www.insight-journal.org/browse/publication/228

It seems to be exactly what I'm looking for but reading Your
contribution article I started to wonder:
How do You get from a 1D image (as in figure 1) to a 2D binary image
(which consists of foreground pixel columns whose heights correspond to
the intensity values of the 1D image pixels) so that You can perform the
(2D) parabolic dilation?

Or asked differently:
For smoothing a 2D image a 3D-ball (or paraboloid) is rolled over the
intensity profile which is a uneven 2D surface in 3D space. But if I
look at GrayscaleDilateImageFilter it expects a structuring element in
2D if the input is a 2D image. (And I'd say it's not the same result as
rolling a 3D-ball over the intensity profile.)
So is there a pre-filter that would crate a 3D binary image (from my 2D
grey image) on which I could apply the BinaryDilateImageFilter with a
ball structuring element? (And then a filter to convert this 3D binary
image back to a 2D grey image?)

Many thanks again.
Roman

--
Roman Grothausmann

Helmholtz-Zentrum Berlin für Materialien und Energie GmbH
Bereich Funktionale Materialien
Institut für angewandte Materialforschung
Hahn-Meitner-Platz 1
D-14109 Berlin

Tel.: +49-(0)30-8062-2816
Fax.: +49-(0)30-8062-3059

Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. mult. Joachim Treusch
Stellvertretende Vorsitzende: Dr. Beatrix Vierkorn-Rudolph
Geschäftsführer: Prof. Dr. Anke Rita Kaysser-Pyzalla, Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c.
Wolfgang Eberhardt, Dr. Ulrich Breuer
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Berlin
Handelsregister: AG Charlottenburg, 89 HRB 5583