[Insight-users] multi-threaded image similarity metrics

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Thu Apr 22 10:40:40 EDT 2010

Hi Pinpress,

Multi-threaded implementations of the ITK image metrics
were added to ITK a couple of years ago. They are described
in the following paper in the Insight Journal:

     http://www.insight-journal.org/browse/publication/172

The code is now under the "Review" directory.

You can find the multi-threaded metrics by doing

cd Insight/Code/Review
ls *Metric*.h   -1

that will show:

itkOptImageToImageMetric.h
itkOptMatchCardinalityImageToImageMetric.h
itkOptMattesMutualInformationImageToImageMetric.h
itkOptMeanSquaresImageToImageMetric.h

The first one is the base class,
so, the answer to your question is:

The multi-threaded metrics in ITK are

* MatchCardinalityImageToImageMetric
* MattesMutualInformationImageToImageMetric
* MeanSquaresImageToImageMetric

As a general rule, if you want to get a first hint of
whether a class is multithreaded or not, you could try

               grep -l MultiThreader *

with the caveat that sometimes the threading code
may have been defined in a base class.