[Insight-users] Demon's Registration Question

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Tue Apr 27 23:47:19 EDT 2010

Hi Alice,

                    Welcome to ITK !

Thanks for the detailed description of the problem.

The outcome of the Demosn registration algorithm
is and image that has the same grid as the Fixed
image, but is populated with the intensity levels
of the Moving image.

If in your case:

Fixed Image    = Cylinder  at value  5000
Moving Image = Ellipse    at value   4860

Then the outcome of the registration process
should be an at value 4860.

Is that what you observe ?

Also, please notice that the Demons registration
is based on the assumption that both images have
the same intensity distribution.  That is, in principle,
you should rescale the intensities of both  images
before you pass them as input to the Demons filter.

You may also need to blur the images a bit in order
to create ramps of intensity in the border of the objects,
to make possible for Demons to compute displacement
vectors based on the direction of the gradient.

(maybe a screenshot of your images will helpful).