[Insight-users] ring artifacts in CT

Mario Ceresa mrceresa at gmail.com
Wed Apr 28 03:52:55 EDT 2010

Hello Somi,
rings artefacts happen in a CT scan if one of the detectors is faulty
or out of calibration. The detector then gives the same erroneous
reading at each angle and the result is a visible circle in the image.

You can read about some methods to reduce them here:

http://www.iop.org/EJ/article/0031-9155/54/12/018/pmb9_12_018.pdf

I'm sorry but I'm not aware of any "pluggable" solution, and the
scanner will probably need a repair/recalibration.

Hope this helps,

Mario