[Insight-users] FastBilateral missing in ITK?

Oleksandr Dzyubak adzyubak at gmail.com
Mon Aug 9 15:55:25 EDT 2010

I have a need of a narrow kernel Bilateral filter
which works "relatively fast".
After some tests I found that the Bilateral filter
provided by the ITK library is much slower than I expected.
Well, I might be doing something wrong so I have to explore that deeper.

Fortunately in the Insight Journal I found an alternative
by J. Woehr "A Fast Approximation to the Bilateral Filter for ITK"
which serves my needs so far.

Unfortunately this very useful filter did not get into the ITK.
Which is even more, this contribution was never given a review.

As Luis Ibanez mentioned somewhere on this forum that in some cases
a nice positive review can promote the filter to be accepted to the ITK.

If I write such a review, would that help or
there is another mechanism such as "user request", for example?

Thanks,

Alex