[Insight-users] FastBilateral missing in ITK?

Sergio Vera sergio.vera at alma3d.com
Tue Aug 10 03:52:08 EDT 2010

Hello Oleksandr,

As far as I remember, articles from the Insight journal had to be reviewed
by at least 4 or 5 users to enter the review section of ITK.
So the first step is to write a review yourself after you have tested the
code.

I do however, believe that we, the users are a bit lazy about reviewing
submissions, so contributions enter are moved into ITK very slowly.
Maybe would be interesting to rethink the process to speed up the process of
integration into ITK of the submissions.

At the moment I wrote reviews to each submission that I use or find
interesting.

Regards

On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 9:55 PM, Oleksandr Dzyubak <adzyubak at gmail.com>wrote:

> I have a need of a narrow kernel Bilateral filter
> which works "relatively fast".
> After some tests I found that the Bilateral filter
> provided by the ITK library is much slower than I expected.
> Well, I might be doing something wrong so I have to explore that deeper.
>
> Fortunately in the Insight Journal I found an alternative
> by J. Woehr "A Fast Approximation to the Bilateral Filter for ITK"
> which serves my needs so far.
>
> Unfortunately this very useful filter did not get into the ITK.
> Which is even more, this contribution was never given a review.
>
> As Luis Ibanez mentioned somewhere on this forum that in some cases
> a nice positive review can promote the filter to be accepted to the ITK.
>
> If I write such a review, would that help or
> there is another mechanism such as "user request", for example?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Alex

Sergio Vera

 Alma IT Systems