[Insight-users] [slicer-users] need help

Sylvain Jaume sylvain at csail.mit.edu
Wed Feb 3 09:31:27 EST 2010

Hi Ahmed,

Slicer uses the spacing of image to map the slices (coronal, axial and
sagittal) to the screen. In the upper right corner of the coronal view
you can see the spacing between coronal slices. You will see the
spacing between axial slices and between sagittal slices when you
hover your mouse over the axial view and over the sagittal view
respectively. Slicer did not resample your volume to 256x256x256 but
map the slice with its correct spacing to the screen (e.g.
0.5mmx0.938mm in axial view, 0.938mmx0.5mm in sagittal view and
0.5mmx0.5mm in coronal view).

Your screenshots show that Matlab did not use the spacing and
therefore the display is not correct. Additionally when you are
passing your software to a clinician or another student, you are
forcing them to have a Matlab license. This is often too expensive and
thus limits the impact of your software. I recommend you use Slicer
and not Matlab to prototype your algorithms because:

  - it will save you the burden of later porting your code to a
software platform that clinicians can use, and
  - it will save the citizens to pay for the porting of your code and
to wait even longer to benefit for the research they have already
funded when you were coding in Matlab.

  In a field where duration of a project can be counted in number of
lives lost, coding in Matlab is irresponsible.

Best regards,
Sylvain

Sylvain Jaume, Ph.D.
MIT Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory
32 Vassar Street 32-D430, Cambridge MA 02139, USA